Tuesday, June 07, 2005

When work sucks you in

A new guy finally joined my team of one (now its two! - a master and his apprentice) last Friday.
Colin my young padawan: much to learn you have. The dark side of the force beckons, and we are few in number. The enemy assails us relentlessly. We have to be vigilant (or quit caring). We have to fight the good fight.

Much to learn...

--------------

It is a welcome relief - the addition of a new team member takes some of the pressure of me, allowing me to do what I do best: design the solution. Seriously speaking, I love designing an IT solution, especially when it is totally customised. You have so much room to be creative, solving problems and figuring out means of handling exceptions. Also, the knowledge that your design will bear down significantly on your client's revenues (and its staff's efficiency) does add that slight hint of pressure to what you are doing.

Oh, and having Colin in the team doesn't mean I have someone to bully - the onus is on me to develop his potential. So far, he's been showing initiative, and has strived to add value every step of the way. Sighs - I'm getting old. It gets hard to keep up with young punks like Colin when you know they can do your job at half the price and twice the speed.

---------------

In other news, I finally published some of the pictures I took in Myanmar online. Of all the things I liked about my trip to Myanmar, the best has to be the children I encountered. Here's some photos taken while stopping over at a nondescript village (I think it was somewhere near Lake Inle).


Keep your clothes on please!!!


These kids have never seen a digital camera before. Seriously...


Long road home...

Check out the rest of it in my Flickr if you can. I think they're pretty decent pictures. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heh, everybody else saw that ST article but me but i read about it and i think i sound like a story book sypnosis, those whose heroines always start off being 'loserish'. Dont you agree?
What's your flickr address?

greyscalefuzz said...

Actually, they make you sound kind of spunky. And yah, after reading your recent post, it does sound kinda ripped off from those girlie mag stories.

Anyway, my flickr is http://www.flickr.com/photos/greyscalefuzz/

Oh, if you see any ugly mugs, that's not me.