Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Last Words I Take With Me from P4

It's a little early for last words but I think I have experienced one of the best courses anyone at B-school can take. In parting, our dear PIM professor (a.k.a. Foul-mouth Fernando, whom some of us suspect to be gay, but don't quote me because I can't tell straights from bends) has shared the following words with us:

Caminante
No hay camino
Se hace camino al andar.

Al andar se hace camino
Y al volver la vista atras
Se ve la senda
Que nunca has de volver a pisar.

Caminante
No hay camino
Solo estelas en la mar.

For the rest of us who did not understand Spanish or Castillan (which includes moi aussi), the English translation reads:

Traveller,
There is no path.
You make the path as you walk.

As you walk, you make the path.
And when you look back
You see the path
That you will never travel again.

Traveller,
There is no path.
Only the wake of ships upon the ocean.

----------------

Recall Oasis: "Now don't look back in anger, I heard you say."

6 comments:

Bahloo said...

Dude, real deep, really deep. Dude.

Ah Choo said...

Ignore what the bear says. I think it really is meaningful.

ie . Time and tide wait for no man. But I don't really understand the part on the "Only the wake of ships upon the ocean"

greyscalefuzz said...

Choo: I think it means that when u look back, you see the path you make, somewhat like the wake of a ship as it traverses the ocean.

Yup, its kind of meaningful, but I didn't give the context. See, the professor wanted to tell us that it is fine and all what we learn in school and what he teaches us. However, ultimately, he cannot show us the way we should go: we make it up as we go along.

Ultimately, there is no formula to living life: too often, we want a framework - think 7 habits, Rich dad poor dad, the like - and expect that someone can show us the way to living life. The wisest words for one would be to listen well, but live your own life: for it is unique.

greyscalefuzz said...

Bahloo: Ah yes, the bear. Howcha dude? I'm saying 'dude' so often these days coz of the white dudes here. Shites.

Bahloo said...

The Bear is good.

My vocabulary is changing too and apparently I now have a pretty noticeable accent.

Ah Choo said...

Of cos you live your life yourself. If you have a partner or a she-bear, you share your life. I am in search of my purpose in life. With a purpose, you create action. With a purpose you find meaning. I have been moved around by my environment for too long.

Yes, looking back some of the wave made by ship cause tsunami for some small folks.